Dr. Parmjit S. Panesar is working as Professor, Department of Food Engineering & Technology, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (Deemed University: Established by Govt. of India), Longowal, Punjab. India. In 2005, he has been awarded BOYSCAST (Better Opportunities for Young Scientists in Chosen Areas of Science & Technology) fellowship by Department of Science & Technology (DST), Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, to carry out advance research in Industrial Biotechnology at Chembiotech labs, University of Birmingham Research Park, UK. His postdoctoral research focused on the development of immobilized cell technology for the production of lactic acid from whey. Besides this, he has also been involved in USA & Australian sponsored projects on scale-up of a commercial polysaccharide derivative in biomedical applications, and critical evaluation of a commercial test kit for the detection of trace levels of explosives. In 1999, Dr Panesar was awarded Young Scientist Fellowship by Punjab State Council for Science & Technology, India.
He has successfully completed 5 research projects funded by CSIR, MHRD, AICTE, New Delhi & Currently 2 research projects sponsored by CSIR, DBT New Delhi are in progress. He has published 80 international/national scientific papers, 50 book reviews in peer-reviewed journals, 20 chapters and has authored/edited 05 books. He is a member of the editorial advisory boards of national/international journals including ‘International Journal of Biological Macromolecules’ and also member of the editorial Advisory Boards of national/international Journals.He has also been selected as a member of the National level Scientific Panel on “Genetically modified organisms and foods” by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) & Member in the international collective of experts of Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), Portugal. He has also received advance trainings from different institutes/labs including International Centre for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology, Italy, and Chembiotech Labs, University of Birmingham Research Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. He is also a life member of International Forum on Industrial Bioprocesses (IFIBiop), Biotechnology Research Society of India, Association of Microbiologists of India, Association of Food Scientists, Indian Science Congress Association, and Technologists, Indian Society for Technical Education, and Punjab Academy of Sciences. His research is focused in the area of food biotechnology especially prebiotics, probiotics, microbial enzymes, application of immobilized cells/enzymes in different bioprocesses, value addition of agro-industrial wastes.
i) Chembiotech Labs, University of Birmingham Research Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom
ii)International Center for Genetic Engg. & Biotechnology (ICGEB), Trieste, Italy
iii) British Columbia Institute of Technology, Vancouver, Canada
iv) International Conference on Agricultural and Food Engineering held at New York (USA)
v) University of Zurich and “International conference on Agricultural, Foods and Nutritional Sciences, Zurich, Switzerland.
vi) Chinese Academy of Agricultural sciences, Beijing, China
vii) Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
viii) Germany, France
Biotechnology in Agriculture and Food Processing: Opportunities and Challenges, P.S. Panesar and S. S. Marwaha, Taylor and Francis Group (CRC Press), USA 
- Enzymes in Food Processing: Fundamentals & Potential Applications, P. S. Panesar, S. S. Marwaha, H.K. Chopra, (ISBN 978-93-80026-33-6), Published by IK International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi. 
- Food Chemistry, Harish Kumar and Parmjit S. Panesar, Published by Narosa Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. (ISBN 978-81-8487-039-8), New Delhi. [International Edition has been published by Alpha Science International Ltd. (ISBN 978-1-84265-599-3), Harrow, U.K.]. 
- Bio-processing of Foods, P.S. Panesar, H.K. Sharma, B.C. Sarkar, published by Asiatech Publishers Inc. (ISBN: 81-87680-27-X), New Delhi 
- Bio-organic Chemistry, Harish Kumar and Parmjit S. Panesar, published by Narosa Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi .
Some of selected publications include:
- V Bali, PS Panesar, MB Bera and John Kennedy (2014). Bacteriocins: Recent trends and potential applications. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, (Published online) doi: 10.1080/10408398.2012.729231. (Impact factor: 5.548)
- V Bali, PS Panesar and MB Bera (2014). Potential of immobilization technology in bacteriocin production and antimicrobial packaging: A Review. Food Reviews International, 30(3): 244-263. (Impact factor: 2.549)
- S. Kaur, P.S. Panesar*, M.B. Bera and V. Kaur (2014) Simple Sequence Repeat Markers in Genetic Divergence and Marker Assisted Selection of Rice Cultivars: A Review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Doi: 10.1080/10408398.2011.646363 (Published online (Impact factor: 5.548)
- V. Bali, P. S. Panesar*, M.B. Bera and R. Panesar (2014) Fructo-oligosaccharides: Production, purification and potential applications. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition (In Press) DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2012.694084 (Impact factor: 5.548)
- P.S. Panesar, Shweta Kumari and R. Panesar (2013) Biotechnological approaches for the production of prebiotics and their potential applications. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 33: 345-64 (Impact factor: 7.837)
- Shubhneet Kaur, Parmjit S. Panesar, Manab B. Bera and Varinder Kaur (2013) Simple sequence repeat markers in genetic divergence and marker assisted selection of rice cultivars: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition (Published Online) (Impact factor: 5.548)
- P. S. Panesar and John F Kennedy (2012) Biotechnological approaches for the value addition of whey. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology 32(4): 327-348(Impact factor: 5.095)
- P.S. Panesar and Shweta Kumari (2011) Lactulose: production, purification and potential applications Biotechnology Advances, 29: 940-948 (Impact factor: 9.599)
- R. Panesar, P.S. Panesar, R. S. Singh, J. F. Kennedy (2011) Hydrolysis of milk lactose in a packed bed reactor system using immobilized yeast cells. J. ChemTechnol. Biotechnol 86: 42-46. (Impact factor: 2.504)
- P.S. Panesar, J.F. Kennedy, C.J. Knill and M.R. Kosseva (2010) Optimization of process parameters for the production of L(+) lactic acid by Lactobacillus casei from whey. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, 53: 219-226. (Impact factor: 0.473)
- M.R. Kosseva, P.S. Panesar, G. Kaur, and J.F. Kennedy (2009) Use of immobilized biocatalysts in the processing of cheese whey. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 45: 437-447 (Impact factor: 2.596)
- G. Kaur, P.S. Panesar, M.B. Bera and B. Singh (2009) Optimization of permeabilization process for lactose hydrolysis in whey using response surface methodology. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 32: 355-368 (Impact factor: 0.558)
- P.S. Panesar, G. Kaur, R. Panesar and M.B. Bera (2009) Synbiotics: potential dietary supplements in functional foods. FST Bulletin, Food Science Central, IFIS Publishing UK. (http://www.foodsciencecentral.com/fsc/ixid15649)
- P.S. Panesar, J.F. Kennedy, D.N. Gandhi and K Bunko (2007) Bio-utilization of whey for lactic acid production. Food Chemistry, 105: 1-14(Impact factor: 3.334)
- P.S. Panesar, J.F. Kennedy, C.J. Knill and M. Kosseva (2007) Applicability of pectate entrapped Lactobacillus casei cells for L(+) lactic acid production from whey. Applied Microbiology Biotechnology, 74: 35-42. . (Impact factor: 3.689)
- P.S. Panesar, S.S. Marwaha and J. F. Kennedy (2006) Zymomonas mobilis- an alternative ethanol producer. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 81: 623-635. (Impact factor: 2.504).
- P.S. Panesar, R. Panesar, R.S. Singh, J.F. Kennedy and H. Kumar (2006) Microbial production, immobilization and applications of b-D-galactosidase. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 81: 530-543. (Impact factor: 2.504).